Friday, September 20, 2013

Huh? He's what?

I used to teach so I understand that kids can act differently at school than at home, but when I talked to my son's teacher after school today, my jaw dropped to the floor.  She told me he is VERY well behaved!  Excuse me?  Could you repeat that please?  He's what?  Oh, well behaved.  Like, he listens when given a direction?  Does he wait his turn to speak?  Is he kind to his classmates?  All of those things?  Wow!  Huh, that's a little crazy to me. 

I know my four year old is a good kid at heart.  He is very sweet and can be the most helpful of all my kiddos but USUALLY he's bothering someone, breaking something, or just plain wild.  In other words, he's a four year old boy!  He is by far my most challenging child right now and I am working tirelessly to figure out what motivates him.  I feel like most of our time is spent in the negative with him and find every opportunity to praise him, even if it's something as silly as him using his napkin instead of his shirt!

So when I went to pick him up after school today, I was shocked when the teacher told me that he is very well behaved, has great manners, participates well, and is working hard to learn new kindergarten skills.  In a class with ten other boys and only five girls, I thought for sure that he would be in a sea of temptation.  I was so proud of him!  I immediately began to praise him until he cut me short by running across the parking lot to jump into a huge puddle with his uniform and dress shoes on.  Really buddy?  Come on!  At least let me relish in the moment for a little while!

Ugghhh!  Well, at least he's great at school.  If I had to choose, I'd rather struggle with behavior at home.  And who knows, maybe he'll start bringing some of that good behavior home with him, at least that's what I'm going to start praying for!

Thanks for reading!

Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment