Friday, July 19, 2013

Where is the reset button?

Have you ever had a day where you wish you could just go back to bed and start the whole day over again.  Not even to change the way your days goes but maybe just to mentally prepare yourself for the day ahead.  Sometimes the day just hits you like a ton of bricks.  You wake up, feeling good, ready to have a great day and then BAM!, your flat on your ass trying to keep up with all the chaos surrounding you.  Well that is my day today, and it's not even 2 in the afternoon yet! 

The day started out fine.  My baby woke up just after 7 after a 12 hour sleep.  I was up a little bit late the night before but was still able to get 7 hours of sleep so I felt fine getting out of bed.  No one else was up so it was nice to just nurse her on the couch and catch the beginning of the news.  My four year old came down next and he was in a great mood, not too silly.  My two year old has a bad cold but is still in a good mood.  I went upstairs to get my two year old and help my children brush teeth and get dressed.  We are still doing well at this point.

After getting dressed we head back downstairs to eat breakfast.  All four kids are at the table eating (well the baby is in her high chair) and using nice manners.  After my two oldest head down to the basement to play, I send my two year old down to join them.  All I have to do is clean up the baby and wipe down the table, and then I can head downstairs and play with them.  This takes me less than five minutes but do you think that my four year old could leave my two year old alone for that long?  Nooooooooo!  All I can hear is my two year old crying and screaming because his brother is taking his toys, yelling at him, pushing him away, and just being downright rude.  Now this is pretty typical, albeit, annoying, so I push past this and head on down.  We calmly talk it out and things are fine, until five minutes later when I go upstairs to put the baby in her bed (literally 15 seconds!) and hear more screaming.

Well the annoyances between the two boys continued so I was a little on edge and whenever I am preoccupied with my own worries and things to do, it's always harder.  When it was time to clean up, my six year old started cleaning right away, while my four year old began to laugh and throw toys.  Are all four year old boys like this?!  Is this what my two year old is going to turn into?  Of course, that just made my two year old start to behave silly too.  Usually this doesn't bother me, but after all the bickering in the morning and the distractions going on in my own mind, I just couldn't handle it anymore.  I yelled at my four year old to take a time out, which he laughed at, which made me more incensed!  I hate to yell at my children.  I try everything possible to make sure I don't yell.  I count, I ignore and then I pray.  But when all that fails, I yell.  When my four year old told me "NO!  I'm not going to!" and threw a toy at me, I just about lost it.  Thank you God for giving me self control!!  I yelled at him to go upstairs in his room, which again he laughed at.  Now we don't have any toys in our kids' bedrooms so you would think this would be enough to make him stop. 

With my four year old upstairs, my two year old took over the reigns of being out of control.  He began being way to silly.  When asked to sit in a time out or clean, he cried, ran, laughed and threw toys.  When asked to just sit down then, he decided to pee his pants.  After showering him and getting him dressed I then had to put him in his room to calm down as well.  My poor girls were just caught in the midst of all of this chaos and trying to make sure they weren't a part of it.  When we finally sat down to lunch 30 minutes later, I felt like I had been up for three straight days, gone on a roller coaster for hours and just wanted to cry.  And throughout the entire ordeal, I just continued to pray because what else can I do?  I prayed to my mother Mary, to guide me as a mother with these beautiful children of God.  I prayed to Jesus to help me stay calm and rational.  I prayed to God to never forget what a blessing it is to be able to be at home with my children, to be the one who not only has to but is blessed enough to be there to deal with all the chaos.  But still I can't help wondering if I was prepared for what kind of a morning it was going to be, if maybe I could have handled the situation better.  Or maybe I would have decided to not get out of bed at all!  Lol!

Thanks for reading!

Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment