Thursday, October 3, 2013

Still scared of a thunderstorm:(

I have the best kids ever.  I put my kids down for bed and then the thunderstorms rolled in.  As a kid I always hated thunderstorms.  I used to sleep on the floor in my parents bedroom because I just couldn't be in my room by myself.  Even now, as an adult, I do not like thunderstorms, especially at night.  I am scared of what kind of destruction they could bring and how loud they are!  But for the last six years (knock on wood) I have never had a kiddo wake up during a storm!  Unbelievable!  I wake up when the thunder gets that loud and the rain is pounding on the windows.

So tonight I was sitting here, just about to write this blog when the tornado sirens went off.  I immediately ran upstairs and rustled up all of the kids out of their beds.  They were sound asleep, I almost felt bad waking them up!  When I turned the light on and tried to get my six year old to get up, she didn't even open her eyes.  I had to physically take her out of her bed and stand her up in the hallway.  She then proceeded to lay down on the floor and go back to sleep.  Then my four year old came wandering out of his room, walking in circles in the hallway, still halfway asleep.  He was in a dreamy daze, just trying to make sense of being woken up in the middle of the night.

I then got my two year old and just carried him all the way to the basement and he didn't wake up until he had been laying on the couch for a while.  My other two kids are still trying to find their way to the basement, walking down the stairs like a couple of zombies.  I then ran all the way back upstairs and grabbed the baby and we all settled onto the couches with blankets and pillows.  For the first ten minutes down there, they mostly lulled in and out of sleep, even the baby.  But after about 20 minutes they were wide awake and ready to play.  My two year old was jumping on the trampoline despite my urging him to sit and relax.  My six year old was dancing and doing somersaults and the baby was crawling around getting into her usual messes.  And who was calm?  My normally off the wall four year old!  Go figure....

Anyway, after about 40 minutes, the storm had passed and it was safe to go back upstairs.  I wish they had another type of tornado siren that let you know when the danger has passed.  I never know how long to stay in the basement.  The big kids went potty and right back to bed, no problem.  I knew it would be smart to nurse the baby before bed since that is her routine and so I just needed my two year old to go pee pee real quick and hop in bed.  Well, he decided to strip down and get ready for a bath.  I tried to explain to him that we had already done that but he began to scream and cry.  after having him see that the big kids were in bed already, he gave in to not taking a bath but decided he needed to go poop instead.  Really buddy?  Oh man, fine, whatever, I definitely don't want to clean poop out of his undies in the morning.

He didn't want to go potty without his Elmo stool though and that was all the way downstairs.  No, big guy.  Sorry.  I love you, but I am not running back downstairs just for a silly stool, so hop your little tushy onto the potty and lets get this show on the road!  After a few minutes and threats that I was going to leave him to himself, he reluctantly got on the potty and cried about the shower again.  He finally pushed some poopy out and then ran around like a crazy naked person while I tried to wrestle his clothes on.  Sometimes I feel like a farmer trying to catch a pig!  After deciding that his previous pjs just would not suffice, he was able to settle on some monkey pjs and FINALLY got into bed.  We said a thousand "good nights", blew kisses, and said "I love you" until I closed the door.

Bedtime is exhausting, having to do it twice in one night is terrible!  But at least we are all safe and the storm passed over us.  And now everyone is sound asleep, which I can't wait to be as well, so hope everyone else has a peaceful night of sleep!

Thanks for reading!

Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment